Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-King Charles III Shares Tearful Reaction to Supporters Amid Cancer Battle -Infinite Edge Learning
Oliver James Montgomery-King Charles III Shares Tearful Reaction to Supporters Amid Cancer Battle
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 06:31:49
King Charles III is wearing his heart on Oliver James Montgomeryhis sleeve.
The monarch shared his response to seeing the outpouring of well-wishes from the public amid his battle with cancer.
"I've had so many wonderful messages and cards," Charles told U.K. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak during their meeting on Feb. 21, as seen in a video shared by Sky News. And he noted this show of support has "reduced me to tears most of the time."
Adding to the words of encouragement, Sunak reminded the king, "We're all behind you, the country's behind you."
The pair also highlighted how Charles making his diagnosis public has helped raise awareness for cancer-related organizations.
"I hear there's been a lot more attention and interest on those main, wonderful cancer charities," His Majesty shared , "many of which I've been patron for years."
But amid the heartfelt conversation, they also shared a moment of levity. When Sunak expressed that it was wonderful to see the king "looking so well," Charles jokingly replied, "it's all done with mirrors."
While the king typically holds a weekly audience with the prime minister, this marked the first in-person meeting they've had since Charles' cancer diagnosis was announced on Feb. 5.
In a statement, Buckingham Palace explained the 75-year-old had been undergoing a procedure for a benign prostate enlargement at the hospital in late January when a "separate issue of concern was noted" that was confirmed through testing to be cancer.
Days later, Charles publicly addressed his diagnosis for the first times and thanked everyone for their kind words.
"I would like to express my most heartfelt thanks for the many messages of support and good wishes I have received in recent days," he wrote in part of a Feb. 10 statement. "As all those who have been affected by cancer will know, such kind thoughts are the greatest comfort and encouragement."
And he isn't the only one who's been moved by the support as his son Prince William, whose wife Kate Middleton underwent abdominal surgery last month, has expressed how much the well-wishes mean to the royal family.
"I'd like to take this opportunity to say thank you also for the kind messages of support for Catherine and for my father, especially in recent days," the Prince of Wales said at London's Air Ambulance Charity Gala Dinner on Feb. 7. "It means a great deal to us all."
As for Charles' son Prince Harry, he made a visit to London from California in the wake of Charles' diagnosis.
"I love my family," the Duke of Sussex recently told Good Morning America. "The fact that I was able to get on a plane and go and see him and spend any time with him, I'm grateful for that."
For a recap of more royal news from this year, keep reading.
While King Charles III was in the hospital for his benign prostate enlargement procedure, the royal family member was diagnosed with cancer.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," Buckingham Palace said Feb. 5. "Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
The Duchess of York's rep said in a statement on Jan. 21 that Sarah was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer. Several months prior, she underwent a single mastectomy to treat breast cancer.
On Jan. 14, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark made history as she officially abdicated the throne, handing the crown over to her son, now known as King Frederik the 10th.
Kensington Palace announced on Jan. 17 that Kate Middleton underwent planned abdominal surgery and was set to remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days.
"Based on the current medical advice," the Palace said, "she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter."
Amid Kate's recovery, Prince William postponed a number of engagements as he supported his family, including the couple's three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Shortly after Kate's hospitalization was made public, Buckingham Palace shared that Charles "has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate."
"His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure," the statement added. "The King’s public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation."
Princess Claire and Prince Felix of Luxembourg welcomed son Balthazar Felix Karl on Jan. 7, the first royal baby of the New Year!
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (22)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Mayor says West Maui to reopen to tourism on Nov. 1 after fire and workers are ready to return
- Forced labor concerns prompt US lawmakers to demand ban on seafood from two Chinese provinces
- States sue Meta claiming its social platforms are addictive and harming children’s mental health
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Giannis Antetokoumpo staying in Milwaukee, agrees to three-year extension with Bucks
- Vikings vs. 49ers Monday Night Football highlights: Minnesota pulls off upset
- Go inside the real-life 'Halloweentown' as Orgeon town celebrates movie's 25th anniversary
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Man United pays respects to the late Bobby Charlton with pre-match tributes at Old Trafford
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Detroit officials approve spending nearly $14 million in federal dollars on inflatable dome
- Mary Lou Retton in ‘recovery mode’ at home after hospital stay for pneumonia, daughter says
- Ukraine’s leader says Russian naval assets are no longer safe in the Black Sea near Crimea
- 'Most Whopper
- See the wreckage from the 158-vehicle pileup near New Orleans; authorities blame 'superfog'
- Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce seal their apparent romance with a kiss (on the cheek)
- Forget winter solstice. These beautiful snowbirds indicate the real arrival of winter.
Recommendation
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Trump’s lawyers file challenges to Washington election subversion case, calling it unconstitutional
'The Hunger Games' stage adaptation will battle in London theater in fall 2024
Miners from a rival union hold hundreds of colleagues underground at a gold mine in South Africa
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Why Britney Spears Considers Harsh 2003 Diane Sawyer Interview a Breaking Point
Amazon employees who refuse come into workplace 3 days a week can be fired: Report
Vanessa Hudgens Addresses Pregnancy Speculation After Being Accused of Trying to Hide a Bump